Friday, January 4, 2008

My Lady Humps

Complex issues:

Whatcha gonna do with all that junk All that junk inside your trunk

[Fergie] I'ma get get get get you drunk Get you love drunk off my hump My hump my hump my hump my hump my hump My hump my hump my hump my lovely little lumps


What does it mean to be woman with a working vagina that ovulates every month???. In Africa, they circumcise and mutilate the virgins, for fear for her to be unpure for her mate. I pose this question to my fellow sisters and brothas and aliens too :) A successful woman can be have all of the glory and power. The awards and win the Nobel Peace Prize. But still will looked at to reproduce and be a steadfast and staunch edifice beside her husband. You know the saying "Stand by Your man." Even if you just closed a merger between two companies and traveled miles accumulating frequent flyer miles to meet with President Anan Cofi or Nelson Mandela about world hunger peace, you'd still be expected to come home and cook dinner and get the kids ready for bed. I was so reminded of this when I saw a clip of Diablo Cody, on AMC's Sunday Shoot Out on her myspace page. This an entertaiment show about making movies, talking to actors, screenwriters and producers. First of all, I don't remember seeing alot of female directors or screenwriters be invited to the show, but still. Diablo Cody is a talented screenwriter that wrote Juno, currently in theaters. But Peter Bart and Peter Guber, both repestecd film producers and critics in their own right, were very smug. All they wanted to know was, how did she learn to write, when she will be a real woman and have kids. A very talent person, a man would not have been asked that questioned. I will reserve my full judgement for when I see the wholse show, but from what I saw. It was very chavanistic and condescending, because she is a woman. So bizarro indeed, a person, writes a great movie and all you want to know is when will she get married. I struggle with that same sentiment, I come from a very conservative carribean family. Despite my education, a Bachelors degree in Communications and an MFA degree in Film and Digital Video and the fact that I make films that are enlighting and interesting,instead, they keep wondering when I am going to find a man and settle down. Its a constant battle. I want to be a wife and mother, but not now. I am conflicted with thses same issues.

Oprah Winfrey the richest AFrican-American female. Media mogul, and ballizianaire. The question always comes when will she marry Stedman.
Maddonna- One of the most successful women singers, but she says her biggest accomplishment is being a wife and a mother.

I am getting a fricking headache just thinking about this stuff. I can't fart it all out. But its all the same shit to me.
I can't worry about it too much, but the question does come up from time to time. What does it mean to be an accomplished and successful female chick/woman/chica here in America???

I can feel my period coming. I just deal with it one a day to day basis.

Peace

No comments: